Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) is a collection of recurrent emotional and physical symptoms that occurs a few days before a woman’s menstrual cycle. It can differ between people hence treatments for PMS can vary drastically.
The imbalance in the levels of estrogen and progesterone levels in your body during the week before your periods is due and can cause at least 150 different symptoms.
The most common signs of premenstrual syndrome include:
- Mood swings, low mood, feelings of sadness or anger
- Anxiety, feeling tense and irritable, crying easily or losing temper, wanting to be left alone
- Trouble sleeping, insomnia, disturbed sleep
- Breast tenderness, sore breasts, swollen breasts
- Food cravings, changes in appetite
- Weight gain, stomach bloating, water retention, pelvic pressure
- Gassiness, changes in digestion and elimination
- Acne, skin problems
- Changes in libido
- Headaches, migraines, difficulty concentrating, foggy head
Besides the basic understanding that hormones and brain chemistry fluctuations cause PMS, conventional medical science does not offer clear answers about what causes PMS.
TCM provides a different framework for looking at menstrual problems and has been used to treat women’s health issues for many centuries. TCM treatments, including acupuncture, moxibustion, and Chinese herbs, can help relieve PMS symptoms. They also benefit other menstrual problems such as irregular, heavy, painful periods, PCOS, endometriosis, fibroids, and signs of perimenopause.
We will personalize your treatment towards your unique set of symptoms. Book an appointment today for more information!